: [1] 2 3   
: Grahame's FJ45 MECCANO SET  ( 14577 )
Grahame Burchell
All Bezels

: 665

« : November 03, 2010, 03:02:40 PM »

It all started many years ago when I was about 7, my dad bought me my 1st Meccano set. Before long my brother and I had acquired many more sets and included were electric motors and gears etc. Dad and us (boet and I) spent many hours together building all kinds of structures/models. One in particular was a Gantry crane that would drive over my bed and pick up things and drive along and lower them down on the floor and visa versa. It was very convenient when I was sick in bed.

This is a mecanical shovel built with meccano

Then I bought “Skadonk”   :drinks: a 1972 (registered January 73) FJ45 with 10600 k’s on the clock from a guy in Paarl. That was in September 2007. I must tell you that this was the first time in my life that I had the cash in the bank at the time when something like this came up. Most of my desires, wants and needs never seemed to happen when I had money. This was a very hard decision to make especially for Swambo as its (In her mind) not a neccesity but more of a "nice to have" - but do we really need it and what are we going to do with it (notice the vehicle was still an it at this stage) once the novelty had worn off. Like the Hobbie cat thats been lying in the yard for the last 5 years etc etc, etc..... But I'm so glad she eventually agreed, and in a way I think she is happy with the decision, SOOOooo am I   Phew  ;D  

Pics – the day I got her. (Note Big, Very big smile )  ;D

And "Proudly" drove her home  :drinks:

In February this year I removed “Skadonk’s” distributor (because I could not get the original points immediately) and fitted a spare 3F distributor I had. "This is the embarrassing part"  ::)  – However I did not get the spigot of the distributor into the slot of the oil pump…..and yet you guessed  !!!!!!!!!!!!  5K’s down the road I heard a slight knock and immediately put in the clutch and the engine stopped abruptly. I knew exactly at that moment what I had done. Hence I have been very quiet when anything has been said about Skadonk. In June I had a knee op and after 4 days sitting and doing very little I sat in the garage on a chair with ice pack on knee and stated to take Skadonk apart.
A couple of weeks later when knee was feeling stronger I continued and pulled the motor out – that was after I hoisted a steel I beam up into the garage roof (used the Prado’s Warn winch for that) :lol:

1F Motor and 3 speed G/box

Now I stripped the motor

The main and Big end bearings not looking lekker  :'(

But the Bores (confirmed std size) still show signs of the original factory honing - not yet run in  :)

By now my “Meccano Set” training was coming into play and I decided (and inspired by the many rebuilds of 40’s on the forum, mainly Keith’s detailed reporting is to blame) to go the whole way. NOT a rebuild as such but just a clean-up… Right!!!

These are the reasons why She needed a good cleaning.

So the cab came off

And soon the Rolling Chassis was all that was left

And then we (my handlanger/gardener/and gen-assistant from over the border) started to wire brush (on electric grinder/drill) all the parts, chassis diffs, springs etc. Only now do I realize how many pieces, nut, bolts and springs etc there are to be cleaned, and freed of rust, dirt, and grime. Nothing was so bad that it had to be sand-blasted. Every single nut and bolt came apart easily. Never had to use force or heat or rust penetrator. Sometimes I used Q20. Even the front pulley nut came off with one smack of the hammer to the end of the wrench.

First we water jetted the chassis

Then wired brushing started

And more...

And slowly we were getting somewhere

Nice and clean

Meanwhile the Motor / Sub had gone off to the engineers - Johnstone Engineering - and they reported back that only a 10 thou grind was neccesary on the big end and Main journals. The pistons bores and rings were perfect. They also found that as the mains caps had been factory shimmed it was now better to line bore the mains and leave out the shims.

To keep me busy I started to clean up the 4 x drum brakes.

I must say that at this stage Swambo was getting quite excited with the project and the odd glass of wine delivered with interest, a smile and word of ecouragement was very welcome because there was dirt, rust and gagga everywhere and very little sign of going forward. Now I realized that this project was a lot bigger than my Meccano set.  :scratch:  Maybe when I was young all those bits and pieces were just as daunting as what I was getting myself into right now.
« : November 03, 2010, 03:55:18 PM Grahame Burchell »

Grahame Burchell
All Bezels

« #1 : November 03, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »

And then the painting started - 2 coats Hammerite Black (not thinned), used small paint rollers and a bird cage mirror to see and get inside the chassis.

Recieved the engine sub from the engineers and painted it black as well as spraying the sump and other components (before assembling) as well as Hammeriting the axles. I did not strip the axles so hope the original seals will hold up.

Looks like Henry Fords factory - every thing is Black

Grahame Burchell
All Bezels

« #2 : November 03, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »

The original 36 year old clutch pressure plate has been tested and is going to be reused

Had all the bolts, nuts, washers, petrol pipes, and tail gate handles yellow passified/plated

Grahame Burchell
All Bezels

« #3 : November 03, 2010, 03:11:07 PM »

Where can I get one of these double/tripple front engine pulleys. The one on the left is the oridinal single belt pulley but i want to fit power steering so need a double belt pulley. The one on the right is cracked on the spline.
The small pulley is the fan pulley, if I could get a double fan pulley maybe that would drive the power steering pump - any suggestions?

Grahame Burchell
All Bezels

« #4 : November 03, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »

Ok sorted,

but now I need  a  water pump double pulley (in photo above) and viscuss fan

And still the painting continues -

used only the original long leaves and added a few of my OME leaves from the 62 and painted with a metal primer. When assembled I painted all with Hammerite. The reason I did not used hammerite on all the blades is because the leaves need to slide on each other as they bend. This is only a trial, may have to add some leaves later if too soft :twisted: Or haystee Parabolic is my only other option. Ironman want over R12000 for a complete set including shocks and they will be far too hard for my use.

Now fitted new brake cylinders - used Keith R's pics to help as Heyens manual leaves alot to be desired. Out of the 8 wheels cylinders there are 6 different types. Lucky I marked each of the old cylinders as they came off - again thanks to keith's advice. Fitted the existing brake shoes as they are like new.

Rear   

Front 

Then with the help of Swambo put the axles in position under the chassis ready to fit the springs

And now the axles, shackels and springs all attached

Also fitted new rubber boots to the ball joints as the old ones had perished

The original wheel rims are being sprayed as per the original grey - thanks to Auto Magic M5 - and then we will have a Rolling Chassis   :drinks:

Grahame Burchell
All Bezels

« #5 : November 03, 2010, 03:21:43 PM »

And now for the Motor - I have just fitted 2F oil pump which is about 20% bigger (the pump gears are 5mm deeper - or longer, but same diameter) and then fitted the sump. Turned the motor right way up and lifted onto a make shift bench. Had to prop up the wood roof trusses to avoid a serious "Head ache". :wink:

Just the tops of the pistons cleaned :lol:

Motor balancing (just for photo)

The head after the valves (Toyota originals) were cleaned and ground and new stem seals fitted.

Now to start the assembly

The chassis now "ROLLING" and ready for the motor

And the Motor now ready for the chassis

The 3 speed gear box is as it was - I only hand painted the black bits the silver/aluminium is original and the linkages were plated. The drum handbrake is still good so left it as it was.

And now box and motor complete  :lol:

Next to fit the motor onto the Chassis ASAP

I just got some more stuff from the platers to sort out.  

Painting the floor of the cab

There was no rust on the Gearbox floor cover but painted it anyway

Part of the firewall had to be painted because the clutch master was leaking and lifted the original paintwork.

Getting ready to fit the cab onto the chassis

Manoeuvering the cab onto the chassis assisted by Swambo, Zimbo and my grandaughter

Gently lowering

And now fastened into position

I could not get the right double waterpump/fan pulley to feed the power steering pump so I made a plan and fitted a tensioner pulley to keep the belt away from the original single belt W-pump/fan pulley

I cleaned up the carb - with new plated bits

I had to make a new bracket for the power steering box

The old mounting bracket on the left (for the manual steering box) and the new one on the right - the angle was about 30 degrees different.

The hole in the floor is for the petrol tank drain - but road spray gets in and rusts the floor and the bottom of the tank. So I made a rubber gasket from 10 mm medium density rubber and some cut some pieces of 4mm rubber for the tank to rest on. Previously the tank rested directly on the floor - metal to metal.

Fitting of the tank

Fitted a new brake booster. There was no booster before and the braking of the drum brakes (on all 4 wheels) was pathetic if not dangerous.

All conected and ready to Fire up.

And she runs  :cheers: ( A little rough but will tune her up later - think dirt in the carb)
The fenders now sprayed and ready to apply under-body protection.

Now with the fenders fitted.

Taking her for a quick run down the road to check the power steering and the now boosted brakes

looks weerd

The power steering made such a difference - even on these marie biscuits - which by the way are the original tyres as purchased with the vehicle in 1972. Still as good as new.

Back in the workshop to adjust the brake booster, I have to keep pumping up the pedal as it soons looses presure.

Bought some stuff from States -

New hub caps looking Gr8 on oiriginal rims and tyres :lol:

Not much has happened in the last week other than the side pieces above the fenders and the front were sprayed and fitted with the lights. Still have to finish the Bezel.- BUT - the missing Runner boards have been found by the galvanizers "at last". Also thanks to Salo for finding me another set just incase mine were permanently lost.

After fitting the Air filter I decided that there was far TOOOooo much black in the engine bay and also the Tappet cover had not been prepared (by myself) properly with primer (as I thought the original paint was still good) and the heat of the engine made the paint crack. Also my new engine labels arrived (with the hubcaps) from USA so decided to strip the paint off the Tappet cover and start all over.

This is me not enjoying my 5 hours of hard labour. Here I am just waterpapering the last of the paint off.

High temprature - primer and Grey Finishing coat.

Now the Engine Bay looks "Pristeen" with new labels

does it not 

Tomorrow I am going to spray the inside of the BAK and Tail gate and hopefully put it on the chassis. Before tuesday 16th I want to be 99% complete and "On the Road" - Later - new year "Off the Road"
« : November 03, 2010, 03:28:14 PM Grahame Burchell »

Grahame Burchell
All Bezels

« #6 : November 03, 2010, 03:34:08 PM »

Started with the Bak at 6 am, sanded and sanded till my finger tips were bleeding. No jokes - I think the previous owner had hand painted the bak with leaded high gloss enamel, It smelt like it anyway and there were paint runs everywhere, and was as hard as hell. I landed up using 180 grit paper. I did the best I could, but it is by no means a professional job. It should have been sand blasted.

Here I was lifting it on the chassis

When I first took the 45 down the road my wife wanted to open a bottle of Bubbly, but I asked her for a medal, And she took it that she needed the medal for putting up with me (or should I say putting up without me) living in the garage for the last 4 months. This resulted in a few more words (I dont know where Swambo's get all their word formula's from) and the bubbly went flat. I stayed longer than usual in the garage that night  :'(

Grahame Burchell
All Bezels

« #7 : November 03, 2010, 03:47:50 PM »

"AT LAST - ON THE ROAD AGAIN"
I had the rear cab windows fitted at "Glasfit - wynberg" They did not want to charge me as they kept me waiting for 2 hours. So I gave their fitter a R100 note - a bargain if I say so myself. The brakes started binding on the way so I had to stop and do a road side repair. (the booster had to be eased, as the brakes at this stage were smelling of burning).  Went this morning and had the alignment and wheel balancing done. To balance these old style tyres (The originals 7.50 x 16]) was quite a job and on 3 of the five had a massive amount of balace weights fitted. The carb got a blockage en route so I had to strip it and blow all the Cr#% out. She is running sweet now.

And the Granchildren have a NEW XMAS PRESENT

Happy Xmas to all those watching this thread and helping me through the tough times. Thanks for all the info and enchouragement you have all given me. Enjoy the festive season, I know I will  :lol:

:toyking:

Jonathan Tee
Administrator

: 2072

V8 because some say "2 heads are better than one"

« #8 : November 03, 2010, 07:22:45 PM »

:drinks: for x-posting Grahame, nice to have the Skadonk story here.

Grahame Burchell
All Bezels

« #9 : November 03, 2010, 09:57:33 PM »

Just realized that I still have this OME - never been used - and rust free "Tool Set" complete with the extension light that plugs into the socket in the Glove Box.

Graham Barnes
Classic Bezels

: 71

« #10 : November 04, 2010, 10:37:04 AM »

Grahame, well done on a superb job.  :drinks:

1975 FJ45

Shaun Cullen
Classic Bezels

: 278

« #11 : November 04, 2010, 12:44:47 PM »

Great stuff! You got a treasure there  :drinks:

Enjoy Cruisers - hate Cruiser Politics

Grahame Burchell
All Bezels

« #12 : November 05, 2010, 07:26:22 AM »

I've just taken the old (but only done 4000 Km's) tyres yes 38 years old. I still want the look of the biscuit with hub cap. but as the rubber on the tyres were hard as hell from age, (Bit like my late Mother-in-law) I want to replace them. Perhaps 1 size up not sure? I've seen a number of pics on mud that have a baloon type tyre that doesnt spoil the look but rather makes it, but have yet to get the tyre size. It's a 16" x 5 1/2 " (I think), rim. I will measure today. Any suggestions would help.
I wouldn't mind going up 1 size for speed as it's only a 3 speed.
BTW my LX has 235 x 85 x 16" fitted.  :-\

(from Mud) Finally settled on "Dunlop SP Road Gripper F" 750 R16 LT 8 PLY. Made In Japan.

They comes standard as OEM on new 70 Series Landcruisers here in NZ. Luckly found a complete set of 5 as brand new take off at one of the Toyota dealership. They are better then the Super Grippers and less noisy too.

« : November 05, 2010, 07:43:13 AM Grahame Burchell »

Grahame Burchell
All Bezels

« #13 : November 06, 2010, 09:01:34 AM »

Maybe something like this on a 16" rim should look good, But dont know about the tyre size

Grahame Burchell
All Bezels

« #14 : March 06, 2011, 06:20:06 PM »

Finaly, a pic of Skadonk, with new BFG's Muds 255 x 85 x 16" on the original rims that have been blasted and powder coated.

Also with my other 40's

« : March 06, 2011, 06:34:40 PM Grahame Burchell »

: [1] 2 3   

: