: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33   
: Our BJ42 LX rebuild  ( 172420 )
Theo Marx
All Bezels

: 1709

« #30 : July 16, 2009, 03:27:15 pm »

I started the prepwork on the bottom and sides of the frame tonight but I am not entirely happy with the results.I brushed the etch cleaner/primer on and sprayed it off with warm water after leaving it on for 1 hour. Tomorrow I will redo it but I will wash it on and off, using a sponge instead. In fairnes the directions did say that 2 or 3 applications may be needed for newly galved steel, so we will see...  :roll:

Etch Cleaner/primer on

Etch Cleaner/primer "rinsed" off but some fatty areas clearly visible.(Could be all the cutting fluid I used when tapping ?)

11/83  UZJ 42 LX with some goodies :  Olive
06/99  HZJ 75 RV

Theo Marx
All Bezels

« #31 : July 16, 2009, 03:34:28 pm »

Time for an update: I "washed" the frame for a second time with Galv Etch but this time using some coarse steelwool. The result was much more to my liking...

This meant I could paint with the Direct to Galv Hammerite immediately.However at the last minute I decided to go with a primer first, just for that bit of extra protection  :wink: I used Hammerite's Special Metals Primer which I was very impressed with as it spreads nicely and dries without leaving any brushmarks and becomes very hard. The only drawback is the fact that brushing takes a huge amount of time and it is difficult if not impossible to get in everywhere  8O

Ready for topcoat(s?)

06/99  HZJ 75 RV

Theo Marx
All Bezels

« #32 : July 16, 2009, 03:36:56 pm »

While the primer coat went on relatively easy and quickly, the top coat was a complete different story.....

But eventually tonight she was done !

:cheers:

Now on to the small bits of the chassis etc ....

06/99  HZJ 75 RV

Theo Marx
All Bezels

« #33 : July 16, 2009, 03:43:09 pm »

Time for an update: With the bad weather we have had for the last 2 days I have not been able to paint the topcoats on the bumpstops and Gbox mount, so I moved on to the leaf springs to keep myself busy.   The only problem was that the bottom blade of the driverside pack was broken.

Fortunately I had come into posession of an old set of 60 ser springs recently(thanx Rob  :D ), that I was able to raid for a blade that could be butchered.

Then it was just a simple matter of measuring and cutting it to the exact lenth as the camber et al was exactly the same. I could even use one of the centering pins as the OEM one's nut was shot. These springs are in any event just a temporary fit untill I get my new leafs  8-)
All cut and test-fitted

Then tonight I whirewheeled all 4 spring packs and reassembled them ready to be painted as soon as the weather clears

All done and shiny, ready for paint

06/99  HZJ 75 RV

Theo Marx
All Bezels

« #34 : July 16, 2009, 03:46:31 pm »

Got my completely rebuilt axles back from JB   :cheers:  Once again the news was very good, so it seems that this cruiser was never used for any hard work 8-)

Lots of whirewheeling later ...

And then the same old routine of etch clean, prime and paint...

06/99  HZJ 75 RV

Theo Marx
All Bezels

« #35 : July 21, 2009, 03:13:36 pm »

After the prime and topcoat the axles came out pretty good

Which meant it was eventually time to start assembly of the chassis..

(Note to self: Do not let Swambo order custom bushes from a guy who asks:"Madam, what colour would you like those bushes ?", ever again !) 8O

New greasable Ironman springpins

At least the front ones are yellow

And suddenly we had a rolling chassis again  :cheers:

But then as preventative "maintenance" I had decided to replace my rear main oil seal and pilot bearing. Jb boroowed me his fancy pilotbearing puller which actually made it feel like cheating- no mes no fuss, 10 seconds and it was out !  8O Thanks JB  :D

The old non leaking seal and bearing. Also note the brand new welch plug(just like all the others) - one more telltale sign that motor was in fact rebuilt 8000kms ago

New seal installed- the exact same one as found in the KZTe motor

Bearing in and flywheel torqued

Clutch and pressure plate installed. Do you recognise that old shaft serving as an alignment tool, Keith ?  :hillbilly:

I had previously restored the bellhousing

After hours of wirewheeling

Primed with Hammerrite's Special Metals primer and then topcoated

Then tonight after torquing the flywheel etc it was finally time to re-unite the motor and boxes with the help of a crane that I borrowed from JB. Thanks again JB  :thumright:

And then I found out that sometimes daughters' boyfriends can actually be usefull creatures if you intimidate them enough  :twisted:

And suddenly it was done  :cheers:

Next up, some detail/cosmetic work on the motor and boxes etc, but first a much needed Xmas break
« : July 21, 2009, 03:18:35 pm Theo Marx »

06/99  HZJ 75 RV

Theo Marx
All Bezels

« #36 : July 21, 2009, 03:16:22 pm »

Since getting back from a long holiday, the progress has been very slow in spite of long hours. The pics tell the story

Tensioner pully needed a new bearing

All done and ready to be installed

Both cleaned and prepped

Done

Clutch release cylinder needed a rebuild kit  and paint

Fortunately the Starter only needed a good clean , some new grease and some paint ..

Before

After

Timing gear cover and crank pully

Waterpump housing

Thermostat housing

Next it was the turn of the crankcase ventcover

After hours of sanding

Finally done

Next up the Rocker cover

After 2 hrs of sanding ..

About 5 hrs ..

06/99  HZJ 75 RV

Theo Marx
All Bezels

« #37 : July 21, 2009, 03:19:39 pm »

Inbetween the sanding and painting odd bits and pieces ..

.. I got a few other issues resolved this weekend. My old shocks were totally shot but I couldn't go buy new untill I had decided on and physically received my new leafs.So I needed a temprory fix.Luckily help came in the form of a "wheetbix loving closet elitist" who gave me a good set of 2nd handshockies off his 79 ser. Although the shockies could compress and extend further than my old ones, the front shockies needed some modification ...

I cut the eyes from the old shocks

and welded them to the "new" ones. Welding to the shaft-side of the shockies was fine but on the tube-side we had to be very slow & carefull not to get the seals damaged from the heat.

All done and painted...

Obviously nothing is ever plain sailing and so I had to get some custom bushes made. Swambo's hand clearly visible in this regard ....  :oops:

Note how accurately the mould is made that even the part no #'s are the same

All done

Not too bad for a temporary fix untill my new leafs arrive from the US ?

06/99  HZJ 75 RV

Theo Marx
All Bezels

« #38 : July 21, 2009, 03:21:42 pm »

In spite of the heatwave of the last two days I got a bit done ...

After sanding with 800 grit

.... 1000

..... 1200

.. and finally 1500.

Fitted the crankcase vent cover after all of the last bits were painted

Oil pressure and low pressure cut-out sensors

The result sofar ...

06/99  HZJ 75 RV

Theo Marx
All Bezels

« #39 : July 21, 2009, 03:23:34 pm »

Time for an update. The bad news first ...

It was almost bone dry and needs replacement as you cannot rebuild it  .. :(

Vacuum pump seal

Both are not in stock in ZA and are now on backorder from Japan.  This setback forced me to deviate from my original plans, as the waiting period could be 4 - 6 weeks  :(

Anyway there was enough other stuff to do, where parts/seals/O-rings etc were in stock ...

All done

Fitted

Before ..

After a rebuild

and with the new TRE's all round

Also got around to fitting the rebuilt clutch release cylinder & starter

Next up,  a real nightmare

06/99  HZJ 75 RV

Theo Marx
All Bezels

« #40 : July 21, 2009, 03:25:27 pm »

Heeeha got some goodies from Japan recently ....

And so I could finally continue ...

All done and fitted ..

P/S cooler lines etc

And the result

06/99  HZJ 75 RV

Theo Marx
All Bezels

« #41 : July 21, 2009, 03:33:30 pm »

It has been a long time since my last update but not without good reason.  >:( First the bastards burglared our home and in the process drugged my loyal late night helper, which eventually culminated in his untimely death a week later   :'(

Testing the tyres

Sleeping in after a long nite in the garage..

Go well our beloved friend , you are sorely missed everyday !  :'(

Then, no sooner had we finished the last cutting and welding on the tub and then the beater who was helping me decided to do a textbook Houdini. So there I was with only the beating ,crimping, pulling and stretching etc to be done with no panelbeater. What annoyed me the most, is the fact that I realised that my initial idea of a DIY(as far as possible) rebuild, was over. Winter was fast approaching and the Rust Bullet(with a racklife of 12 months, I was told) had to go onto the tub without further delay, so I was in a fix and started shopping around.

Enter Auto Magic M5 body and panel shop ! :D
I had read some very good reviews about them but lets be honest not many good body shops, nowadays enjoy doing restorations inbetween the normal stuff.  I phoned Gordon and his enthusiasm for this project was immediately noticed, so I was optimistic. He came to inspect the job twice even bringing his foreman with him during the 2nd visit. We agreed on a price and the work to be done and a day later they collected the tub and all panels.

Yesterday JT and I took the rolling chassis through as I want the alignment etc of the panels to be checked and done on the tub when mounted to the frame. I was pleasantly surprised/shocked when I arrived at the shop !

A close up of the colour

« : July 21, 2009, 03:36:03 pm Theo Marx »

06/99  HZJ 75 RV

Theo Marx
All Bezels

« #42 : July 21, 2009, 03:37:32 pm »

Well the Cape winter didn't play along with our plans, as we need at least 3/4 days to blast and Rust Bullet the tub and all panels and according to the latest forecasts that window period will only happen from next week Wednesday.  :x

I had a few outstanding odd jobs to do, so yesterday being workers-day, was good for me but I don't work at Auto Magic everyday. What great service again from Gordon.Not only did he open the place for us but even lent us a helping hand and bought us lunch !  8O Thanks Gordon, the sacrifices you make for your clients are amazing  8-)

I needed to to test the new custom tubmounts that we had made which meant I also had to drill the holes for the supports(and 3mm lift) I had made for the rear tubmounts.I was sceptical about the tubmounts but not anymore. They worked great and the tub was level. (Sorry about the crappy cellphone pics  :oops: )

It was good to see the tub on the chassis and to get an idea of the lift gained, from the longer shackles...

I also needed to drill the swivel's holes on the bib that we had modified/repaired earlier which meant we had to assemble and align the front in order to mark and drill the holes. At the end JT remarked: "That was a lot of work for 5 holes" and I have to agree.

Thanks for offering up your time also JT, it is much appreciated.  :drinks:

06/99  HZJ 75 RV

Theo Marx
All Bezels

« #43 : July 21, 2009, 03:40:14 pm »

Time for an update: With the weather finally clearing we got our window of 4 days to blast all panels and spray the Rust Bullet. Yesterday the first load of stuff went to the blasters.It was not finished on time but that was not the worst of it. Instead of picking the tub up and turning it over the way most people would do it, these guys, in their infinite wisdom decided to roll the tub over on it's side and in the process bent one of the panels  :evil: The damage was not bad but it was already 15H30 and we still needed to weld up the few small new holes, clean the remaining seam-sealer(that OEM stuff is very tough!), panelbeat the new dent and then prep and spray the 2 coats of Rust Bullet. It is fair to say that I had a total sense of humor failure ...  >:(

Enter the guys at Auto Magic again. They were fantastic ! Realising the pickle we were in with all the panels and tub being down to bare metal, they just started clicking like a unit.

I even got a shirt  :)

While we were doing the seams Wouter set about on the beating of the tub etc. Eventually it was just the 3 of us but at 19h20 we started spraying the 1st coat of Rust bullet

With the 2nd coat on we dragged ourselves out of there at 22h40 but very glad that we had achieved what we wanted to ...

Thanks guys, you were great !

Side notes:
The quality of the blasting with fine sand is very good- no warped panels , holes blown through etc.
My tub is actually in much better condition than what most(including myself) thought, initially.
Rust Bullet silver label is too thick and we had to dilute it with Xylene(thanks again Keith)
Rust bullet amplifies all the dents and imperfections making it easy to see the areas where work is needed.
Doing this in the Cape winter time is stressfull.

Today the last panels will be blasted and sprayed 

06/99  HZJ 75 RV

Theo Marx
All Bezels

« #44 : July 21, 2009, 03:45:22 pm »

Now that the Rust Bullet has been sprayed it is time for the fine beating and the unavoidable filler-work. From the onset I insisted on all the panels being back on the chassis during this stage and the great bunch of guys at Auto Magic agreed. So tonight, Hendrik and I had the entire shop to ourselves and got some work done ...

Alignment done ..

Then the rest ..

Last one

On to the next stage  ..

06/99  HZJ 75 RV

: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33   

: